Thursday, March 31, 2011

Retrieval

There comes a time, every now and then, when you have to wonder how to be happy. From day to day, from year to year, the answer changes, floats, twists, turns. It's strange to think how very different my answer would have been only this time last year, and whether the change is a result of collected wisdom (if only), or perhaps from some variety of jadedness (though I am yet so young that it seems strange to offer myself that), I cannot say, I daren't fathom. But indubitably, beauty was the first thing, my first obsession (although to say that is perhaps to really say nothing at all). It had its natural attraction to a child often alone, the wonder, the abstraction. There was too little in the moving, bustling "real" world to attract me; for a time, I did not speak the right language, and when I did, I was too shy and impatient with social niceties. I kept to the world of my young mind, contemplating words and colours, bright skies, languid streams, tulip trees in bloom. I was quiet, I tried to succeed, whether it was in finding the first bright-orange eft on the weekend hikes with my father, or rescuing the squirming, helpless earthworms that littered the school's blacktop after rainy nights. It could have been finishing a chapter reading first in the class. I would snap my textbook closed crisply, fold my hands and look down, down to my feet, not smiling but secretly thrilled by the springtime sound of the clicking fans above and the flipping pages all around.

I admit, I lost sight of that early, childhood sensibility. Hard times came, and the life that I knew began to crack, fracture, shatter. When the world turned too dark, I turned my back on it and stepped away. I could not find the light in something that had been reduced to darkness and shadow, and it was light that I needed, light that spread the world thick in bloom, light that rendered the colours that danced behind my eyes full and jubilant. Like a seedling in a closet, I searched, I faltered and failed. It was far too long that all I knew was bitterness, that I could not have recognised joy if it had bitten me on the shoulder. My happiness then was in letters and marks, in comments from teachers, in books read. In success. I could not waste time, in the early days of the darkness, for there was no cheer in contemplation, in solitude and thought. (I sound melodramatic here. It is the disintegration of a family that I speak of, a family that my faraway daydreamer of a childhood self did not realise was dissolving until too late. It was a disillusionment, it was a loss of something too great to describe.) I read textbooks, I read novels and papers, I turned to music and sound, anything but give myself time to reflect. At the falling apart, I drove myself as deeply into work as I could and huddled there, afraid to peek out to see what the world had become. But when the dust settled, it settled atop my nest as well, and the new world forced me to learn, to forgive, to understand. (Forgiving those that you have tricked yourself into hating is no small task, but the forgiveness taught me that nothing is worth the hatred. It is not a paltry breed of dislike, it is the formation of a falsehood.) It's strange to think of those times now, as I stare out of confining, yet frosty windows and wish to be in some other world, high in a sun-dappled tree with a novel or field guide, or else simply wandering. I scarcely knew how dearly I missed this joy.

I spent last week almost entirely in the garden. I can hardly say how it calmed me, the sunlight and the swift, Midwest winds, the tending to rosebushes, the friendly coolness of freshly turned soil. I laughed in surprise at the scurrying isopod colonies, the garter snakes coiled beneath the stepping stones, indignant and wide-mawed as I pulled away at their shelters (I replaced them later, although I think they were mightily displeased with the whole affair). The squirrel social dynamic was something quite fascinating to observe, although the losers in the fight over the birdseed comforted themselves with the young buds from the long-suffering magnolia. Was I happy? I could not have been simply distracted, for I have scarcely felt closer to that connection I missed so than when I stood barefoot in the newly turned vegetable patch, wistfully watching robins tug away at the unfortunates of the earthworm population. It makes me wonder how much I missed when the world went black, but it is too much of myself now to regret it entirely.

3 comments:

  1. Sproaty -- fascinatingly philosophical as usual. You have a neat writing style, though I confess that I usually dislike poetic musings. I'm too cynical, I guess.

    I'm glad you replaced the garter snakes. It would have been terribly rude not to.

    By the way, I was interested to learn that in the Bible (King James version), the prophet Isaiah (NOT Ezekiel, thank you very much) supposedly said, "the multitude of camels shall cover thee, the dromedaries of Midian and Ephah; all they from Sheba shall come: they shall bring gold and incense; and they shall shew forth the praises of the Lord."

    And yes, shew is a word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not empathize fully here as I've never experience the totality that you did during the years of duress; my world flickered briefly once or twice, but that was all, there was no closet, no complete darkness.

    At the same time, I connect with the student who buried herself in work and grades, who huddled under the mass of "important things to do" rather than look out at and enjoy the true world. I do not know why I did this, why I changed from running around with siblings outside, finding my own form of happiness in jovial adventures and ill-conceived imaginary worlds, in the familiar pages of childhood novels, why I moved from these things to an utterly dull and academic life of reticence between 6th and 8th grade. Something to do with, perhaps, a new school, or a dislike of the typical things people at middle school did or talked about as a result of their new pubescent perspectives, or whatever.

    It's interesting to note, though, that you conclude you are happy at the end as you feel the "retrieval" of your initial happiness, a closeness to how things were before they went black; but would you have known of your happiness without the blackness, would you have called yourself happy before the problems set in? Perhaps. I hope I can say that I'm happy now, even without an understanding of its antithesis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely post, so eloquent in concisely describing a shattered world and the reaction to it, the indulgence in beauty and the turning away from it.

    I think you're smart not to regret. In most cases, regret does no good, and (as you suggest) ends up denying some part of ourselves, the reality of the place we've arrived. But I'm glad to hear that you're returning to the world of beauty. It's not easy to be happy, but it's worth trying to be. Especially if you can wrap your mind around the fact that happiness alloyed with grief, fear, sadness, confusion, and other non-sunny emotions can be beautiful and sustaining. I think one reason why Mrs. Dalloway and Their Eyes Were Watching God are two of my very favorite books is because both feature characters working with great intelligence and resolve at figuring out how to be really happy, not just pretending to be. And in both cases, beauty is essential to that happiness.

    ReplyDelete